Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2021

A Trip to Florida

 Sometime in late September or early October my friend called me from Florida.  They still had no one doing my particular job and there was one particular item, an inspection of some parts of the construction work, that required someone like me.  She called.  "We really need this work done to keep our timelines on schedule and we're out of options.  Can you do this work for us?"

This would be crazy.  I didn't have a Florida license or personal liability insurance.  So many reasons to say, 'no.' So, I told her all of this and agreed to help her find someone locally who could help out.  

"There's not time," she insisted.  We're out of options.  

Reluctantly, I agreed on the condition that I could get the license and the insurance.  The obstacles quickly melted away.  The license and insurance quickly revealed themselves to be very small obstacles which were easily overcome.  Before I knew it, I had a couple of days off and I flew with my family to Florida.  It quickly became apparent that this was more than a contract job, but rather a surreptitious interview!  I was not alarmed, but strengthened in my resolve that Florida was not for me, or for us.  

After the 'interview' meet-and-greets, I was indeed impressed with the whole operation, and shocked to realize how closely matched my experience was to the plans this organization had in progress.  I enjoyed my day thoroughly, and the construction inspection was smooth.  Quite a lot of fun, which was followed by an invitation to dinner.  During the dinner with my friend and her new colleagues, we were exchanging stories of the past few weeks, her transition to this new job, the joys and trials of moving, and so on.  It was a fun close to a fun day.

Back at the hotel, my head hit the pillow and my eyes popped open.  "When did my friend say she moved?"  I remembered the date changing several times as she worked to make sure the dates were amenable to the former workplace, the new workplace, her family, etc.  

Remember the "45 days" from the Broken Chains post?  My friend had prayed for me, and he felt like there was something happening for me in 45 days, which turned out to be September 13.  He mentioned that I wouldn't know on that day that something was happening, but that sometime in the future someone would tell me about something happening on September 13, and I would know this was God moving something along for me.  I sent her a text right that moment.  

"When did you say you moved to Florida?"

"I moved on September 13."

No.

Way.

Was this part of the thing that would be my next season?  I mentioned this to Mrs O.  I wasn't convinced, but I was certainly intrigued.  

Our last activity before flying back to Kentucky was to go to the beach.  We didn't have much time, but we drove out to the beach on one of the islands before heading to the airport.  We had a great time, albeit very short.  Then, on the bridge crossing back into town I saw something that hit me at my core.  I saw the skyline which bore a striking resemblence to the shiny new train in my dream I mentioned in The Inventory--sleek and white, with shiny bluish green windows.  

Coincidence?  I don't know.

My resolve about Florida not being for me?  Gone.

The next day at the airport, my friend called.  They wanted to make an offer, but they knew how I had responded before and they wouldn't continue unless I was open to it.  

"I... I don't know if I'm open to it.  I'll need some time to figure that out."

No comments:

Post a Comment